This timber-framed First Period house was built in 1718 by William Wilcomb at 43 Summer St. in Ipwich. Out on Jeffreys Neck William Willcomb operated a fishing stage, a small building and platform for salting and drying fish. The next owner, William Benjamin Pinder was a corporal with Col. Appleton’s company in the ill-fated 1756 expedition against the French at Louisburg, Nova Scotia during the French and Indian War. The Wilcomb and Pinder families were among the early settlers in Ipswich.
The interior of the home features hand-hewn summer beams, wide plank flooring and the original fireplaces. The current owners added 800 square feet in 2005 with the saltbox conversion and the addition of gables. An Ipswich Historic Commission plaque identifies the house. View a slide show of the reconstruction of this house at the DWBates site