Preservation agreements (“Covenanted Houses”)

Phillip Call house, Ipswich MA

Since 1969, the Ipswich Historical Commission has been responsible for a program of voluntary preservation agreements with homeowners.Under the legal covenant written into the deed, the homeowner and successive owners agree not to permit any alterations to the designated interior or exterior significant architectural features. The Phillip Call house on High Street, shown above, was among the first houses in Ipswich to have a preservation agreement.

The following houses have covenants (preservation agreements.

*Names of the houses link to the Town Historian’s site, which is not produced by the Historical Commission.

Phillip Call house, Ipswich MA

The Phillip Call house on High Street was one of the first in Ipswich to have a preservation agreement with the Ipswich Historical Commission

In 1969, a combination of federal and local funds made it possible for the Ipswich Historical Commission to develop a demonstration project in the use of easements to secure binding Preservation Agreement that would be a partnership between the Commission and the homeowner to preserve the architecturally significant features of his home, both exterior and interior. Under the voluntary Agreement’s provisions, the homeowner agrees not to permit any alterations to the designated interior or exterior features of his home agreed upon in the “covenant”. The contracts are between the town of Ipswich and owners / future owners until the year 2100.

Covenant Agreements were eventually signed by sixteen owners of first quality houses. Over the years more owners have come forward and the number of houses covered by covenants has grown to 41. The Historical Committee urges current owners of other historical properties to consider creating such an agreement. Listed in the State Register are those properties protected by a preservation restriction, drawn up in accordance with MGL Chapter 183, Sections 31-33. A preservation restriction (PR) runs with the deed and is one of the strongest preservation strategies available. All properties which have preservation restrictions filed under the state statute are automatically listed in the State Register.

Ipswich has the largest preservation restriction program in the Commonwealth with 36 properties protected in this fashion, primarily First Period buildings. Download a PDF document with more details about each of the first and second period houses in Ipswich. The following is a complete list of homes and buildings protected by preservation agreements in Ipswich Massachusetts. Most have covenants with the Ipswich Historical Commission. A few are protected with an agreement by the Commission’s predecessor, the Ipswich Heritage Trust. The Town of Ipswich has a Great Estates Bylaw that protects several large properties. The Society for the Preservation of New England (SPNEA) now known as Historic New England also created a few of the early covenants that predate the Ipswich Historical Commission. The Trustees of Reservations and Essex County Greenbelt own additional properties in Ipswich.

The John Appleton House is protected by a preservation agreementCol. John Appleton House
2 North Main Street (1707)
(Ipswich Heritage Trust)
Appleton Farms Old HouseAppleton Farms
(Trustees of Reservations)
The oldest continually operating farm in North America.
Col. John Baker House
South Village Green ( 1761)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Baker - Newman House, Ipswich MA Baker-Newman House
14 East St.(1725)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Baker - Newman House, Ipswich MA Burnham-Patch House
1 Turkey Shore Rd.
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Phillip Call house, Ipswich MA Philip Call House
26 High St. (1659)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Day-Dodge House
57 North Main Street (1737)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Thomas Dennis House, Ipswich MA Thomas Dennis House
7 County St. (b. 1670, alt. 1750)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Dennis - Dodge House, Ipswich MA Dennis – Dodge House
10 County St. (1740-50)
(Ipswich Heritage Trust)
Dodge House, East Street, Ipswich MA Dodge House
18 East Street (1725)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Polly Dole - John Updike House, Ipswich MA Polly Dole House
26 East St. (1687 – 1710)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Samuel Dutch House
69 South Main Street (1723)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Joseph Fowler House
100 High Street (b. 1725-75)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
John Gaines HouseJohn Gaines House
3 High St. (1725)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Isaac Goodale HouseIsaac Goodale House
153 Argilla Rd. (1668)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Benjamin Grant HouseBenjamin Grant House
47 County Street
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Hall – Haskell House
36 S. Main St.
(Town of Ipswich Visitor Center)
John Heard HouseJohn Heard Mansion
South Main Street
(Ipswich Museum)
Emerson – Howard House
41 Turkey Shore Road (1640)
(SPNEA Historic New England)
Heard Lakeman HouseHeard-Lakeman House
2 Turkey Shore Rd. (1776)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
John Kendrick HouseJohn Kendrick House
3 Hovey Street (1665)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Benjamin Kimball HouseBenjamin Kimball House
3 Summer Street (1721, alt. 1803)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
John Kimball House, 104 High St.John Kimball House
104 High Street (1715)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Jeremiah (Benjamin) Kimball HouseJeremiah (Benjamin) Kinsman House
59 Candlewood Road (1756)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Lakeman - Johnson HouseLakeman-Johnson House
17 East Street (1835)
(SPNEA (Historic New England)
Linebrook ChurchLinebrook Parish Church
391 Linebrook Rd. (1848)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Lord - Baker HouseLord-Baker House
37 High Street (1720)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Old Parsonage - Thomas Manning HouseThomas Manning / Old Parsonage
19 North Main Street (1799)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Paine House, Greenwood FarmsPaine House and Greenwood Farm
Jeffreys Neck Road
(Trustees of Reservations)
Capt. Matthew Perkins HouseThe Captain Matthew Perkins House
8 East Street(1701-9)
(SPNEA Historic New England)
Probate Court – Odd Fellows building
29 North Main Street
(Ipswich Heritage Trust)
Old Post Office, North Main StreetOld Post Office
38 N. Main (Ipswich Heritage Trust)
Proctor Estate, New England BiolabsThe Proctor Estate
County Road (Ipswich Great Estates Bylaw) The mansion and outbuildings were
built in 1908 for the Proctor family where they lived until the 1940′s. Now
owned by New England Biolabs and is protected under the Great Estates Bylaw
Merchant - Choate HouseMerchant-Choate House
103 High St. (1650)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Perkins - Hodgkins HousePerkins-Hodgkins House
80 East St. (1700)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Preston - Foster HousePreston-Foster House
6 Water St. (1690)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Nathaniel Rogers HouseRev. Nathaniel Rogers House
1 High Street (1727)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Richard Rogers HouseCaptain Richard Rogers House
64 North Main St.(b.1728)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Charles Searles Estate, Ipswich MACharles Searle Estate
Jeffreys Neck Road
(Ipswich Great Estates Bylaw)
now owned by the Sisters of Notre Dame. Although the house is abandoned and the
exterior is in bad repair, it is subject to the Great Estates Bylaw.
Tilton - Smith HouseTilton-Smith House
164 Argilla Rd.
(1720, reconstructed after fire)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
OOld Town Hall , Ipswich MA ld Town Hall
S. Main St.
(Ipswich Historical Commission). This building is in litigation between the Town
of Ipswich and the current owner, who has not lived up to the agreement created
at the time of sale.
Nathaniel Treadwale - Hale HouseTreadwell – Hale House
52 North Main Street (1769-99)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Turner Hill Estate, Ipswich MA Turner Hill
Topsfield Road
(Ipswich Great Estates Bylaw). Built by William G. Rantoul in 1900, it was the home, farm and lands of importer and industrialist Charles N. Rice. Now owned by Turner Hill Associates.
Turner Hill is subject to the Great Estates Bylaw.
Col. Nathaniel Wade HouseCol Nathaniel Wade House
South Main Street
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Wainwright - Treadwell HouseWainwright-Treadwell House
East Street
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Waldo - Caldwell HouseWaldo-Caldwell House
33 High St. (1660)
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Whipple House, IpswichThe Whipple House
1 South Village Green
(Ipswich Museum)
Joseph Willcomb HouseJoseph Willcomb House, (1668)
13 High Street
(Ipswich Historical Commission)
Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someonePrint this page