Commission History

HISTORICAL COMMISSION

Kingsbury Lord House, High St. in Ipswich MA

Kingsbury – Lord House

The Ipswich town meeting of 1964, in order to take advantage of possibly available state and federal funds, voted into existence an Historical Commission, the membership of which coincided with that of the Study Committee.

The Commission continued a project begun unofficially — affixing to the town’s earliest buildings plaques on which are noted names of original owners and approximate dates. In October of 1971, an offer by the Genealogical Society of the Church of the Latter Day Saints to microfilm all town records from 1633 to 1850 was accepted by the Selectmen, and the Commission assumed the responsibility of careful inventorying and safe handling so that records which are fragile can be made safely available to researchers.

The Commission is empowered by Chapter 40, Section 8D of the General Laws, to “acquire in the name of the town by gift, purchase, grant, bequest, devise, lease or otherwise, the fee or lesser interest in real or personal property of significant historical value” and to “manage the same.” This power became crucial when, late in 1969, a combination of federal and local funds made possible in Ipswich a demonstration project in the use of easements in securing preservation restrictions.

Read more about how the Ipswich Historical Commission helped save at-risk buildings in the book “Something to Preserve”

Historical Commission membership from 1964 through the present day

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someonePrint this page