Just past the Choate Bridge on South Main Street The Ipswich Visitor Center is located in the Hall – Haskell House, sometimes called the “Little Red House”. Earlier structures stood at this site before mariner Charles Hall and his wife bought the property in 1800, living upstairs and running a general store on the lower floor. After his death in 1825 the house was sold to Widow Eunice Smith Caldwell Haskell. Eventually the property was acquired by wealthy businessman John Heard, whose descendants continued to own the house into the 20th century.
In the 1980’s the house was in bad condition and came close to being demolished by the town. It was saved due to the efforts of Vivian Endicott and other local citizens who raised funds and restored the house. After many fund-raisers and work on the house it was opened as an art space and later became home to the Ipswich Visitor’s Center. A bench dedicated to Vivian Endicott in the garden behind the house.
The “Little Red House” on South Main Street now serves as the Ipswich Visitor Center, open in the summer months as an art gallery and also housing the Essex Trail Visitor Center. Read a brief history of the Hall – Haskell House