Ipswich Historical Commission presents Mary Conley Awards

Asa Stone barn, winner of the 2014 Mary Conley award

At the October 19, 2015 Selectmen’s meeting, the Ipswich Historical Commission presented the Mary Conley Award for Historic Preservation for 2013, 2014 and 2015. The presentation of a bronze plaque is awarded at a Board of Selectmen’s meeting has been a tradition since 1992.

  • 2013 Mary Conley Preservation Award to Lynda Reiman for the Caleb Kimball house on High St.
  • 2014 award to Amy Farr and Jacob Borgman for the Asa Stone barn on Northgate Rd.
  • 2015 award to Will Thompson and Megan Plumlee for the Baker-Newman house on East St.

The award is named in honor of Mary P.  Conley for her endless dedication to preserving Ipswich history and historic properties. It recognizes Ipswich individuals who voluntarily preserve, restore or maintain a home or property in an outstanding or architecturally correct period or style or to persons who are instrumental in aiding that effort. A letter of application may be sent to the Historical Commission at the Ipswich Town Hall, 25 Green St., Ipswich MA.

Caleb Kimball house, High St., is known as the House with Orange ShuttersCaleb Kimball House, 106 High St. (House with Orange shutters), winner of the 2013 Mary Conley Award.

The Caleb Kimball house, or the“House with Orange Shutters” as it is commonly known, is at 106 High Street in Ipswich and was built between 1690 and 1715 (1st period) The orange shutters have become a long tradition.

Asa Stone barn, Northgate Rd.The Asa Stone barn, 27 Northgate Rd., winner of the 2014 Mary Conley  Award

The newly restored Asa Stone barn at 27 Northgate Rd. was moved from its previous location on Argilla Rd. The barn is typical of early American post and beam construction.

33-baker_finished_meghannBaker – Newman house, 14 East St., winner of the 2015 Mary Conley Preservation Award

The Baker-Newman house at 14 East St. was built in 1725 and is an early 2nd Period 2-story, end gable half house with a Beverly jog. John Baker was granted a section of the land extending down East Street to Spring Street, originally granted to Rev. Cobbet, one of the town’s first ministers.

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someonePrint this page